Now what?

So second-semester senior year does exist, and it’s scarier than I anticipated. I remember how excited I was months before my high school graduation, but this is much different.

Four years ago, I didn’t know where I was going to college, but I knew I was going somewhere. That may have been stressful and terrifying, but today is a little worse. I don’t know where I’ll be working or what I’ll be doing in two months. For all I know, I could end up in a cave living with bats.

For the first time in 16 years, I will not be going back to school in the fall, and that’s scary. I remember growing up and hearing adults always talk about a bad job market, high insurance costs and unrealistic rental rates, but I never really thought that I’d get to this point where “real life” was right around the corner. I feel like I just started my college career and now it’s all over.

When I started my undergrad journey, the then-seniors always talked to freshman about enjoying the next four years because it goes by so fast. When I would hear those comments, I would always think to myself that these four years would be so hard and would just drag along. Unfortunately for me, everything those seniors said was correct.

Every semester and every year went by faster than the year and semester before. Each day started to blend, and most of the time I can’t even remember what classes I took certain semesters. Maybe that’s just a sign of me growing old and losing my memory. Speaking of growing old, I’ve found five gray hairs on my head over the last two months.

Though I’m not that close with all of the members of my graduating class, I can feel us coming closer together as our time here at JSC comes to a close. Classmates who I barely have talked to over the last four years have become some of my closest friends as we bond over our nerves of the future.

The most frustrating part of this whole senior year thing is the questions I’m getting from adults. You know what questions I’m talking about. They’ll ask, “What are your plans?” or, “Do you know what you’re doing after graduation yet?” My answer to all of these questions is, did you know what you were doing in February or March of your last semester of college? My guess is no (but if you did, please email me your tips and tricks of success, thanks).

Some of my friends are going off to graduate school and others are doing long-term service, but I’ve opted to hit the job search.

Finding a job seems to be almost impossible. Employers are looking for fun, young and enthusiastic employees, yet they require three to five years experience. How am I supposed to get an entry-level job when they all require years of experience?

Not to toot my own horn, but I’ve worked as an intern at three different organizations and have walked away with stellar references, so if I’m not getting hired I’m not sure which college students are.

Nevertheless, I keep applying for jobs and hoping that I get chosen for one. I’ve gone through one full interview process and was a contender for a position where I was one of the top three candidates, but here I am still with no concrete plans for May. So if you know of anyone looking to hire a sarcastic, semi-talented writer with weird self-confidence issues, let me know.

I would like to wish my classmates good luck over the next two months. I know this time is challenging, but as Zac Efron said to us in fifth grade, “We’re all in this together.” Let’s help each other out and proofread cover letters and resumes and stay positive whenever someone clicks that submit button for their dream job application. However, if we’re competing for the same job, you better “get’cha head in the game” because I’m going to need a job to pay for all of the cat food I’m going to need to buy for my future seven cats (and health insurance for myself).