A note from the Editor…

Another year is soon behind us. Time seems to accelerate, and it’s hard to believe we’re at the end of another semester. Tempus fugit indeed.

Allow me a moment of reflection. With only the fall ‘16 semester remaining for me, I’ve really enjoyed my time here at JSC. Thank you students. Thank you staff. Thank you faculty. You’ve all been great. Most of all, thank you readers of this newspaper. All of us here at Basement Medicine really appreciate it. Seriously.

Yet, there are also some serious things I’d like to bring up in this end-of-semester editorial.
JSC continues to go through tough times. Money is tight. If you care about the future of this school, I suggest that you write to your representatives in the Legislature (or even the governor) and tell them to allocate more money for the Vermont State Colleges. We need it. There is simply no justice in the state government leaving us deprived of funds like this. Vermont is painfully close to being the most stingy state in the nation on this issue. For an ostensibly progressive state, the consistent underfunding of its public higher education is particularly sad and inexplicable.

Despite all that, there are reasons to be optimistic and things to look forward to.

I believe that we chose wisely in making Elaine Collins our new president. She cares about the future of this school. She cares about the liberal arts and what constitutes a real liberal arts education. In her first year she has moved us forward on mutliple fronts, from admissions to alumni giving, to community relations. Keep up the good work, President Collins.

From what I hear, there’s a significant jump in the number of students applying to be here next year. If that holds true, it will be a positive for both the college’s financial situation and for student life and culture on campus.

One thing that I’d like to see is more people volunteering in the SERVE office. Especially when it comes to projects/events that occur down in and around Johnson and the local area. Most of us are young and in good physical condition. I know for a fact that we have spare energy to give our community. Let’s put it to good use.

Speaking of Johnson, I think everyone on campus should pay more attention to the town. It’s easy to overlook when you’re up on the hill, but they need us down there. They could use our help. Local politics isn’t the most exciting thing in the world, I know. But I also know that the town would love it if students here were more civically engaged.

All’s well that ends well, or so they say. Good luck on your finals, everyone. Well, that’s it. See you in the fall, Badgers. It’s been real.

Sam Hartley, Editor-in-Chief