Feelin’ real about Meals on Wheels

Throughout my time here at SERVE, I have had the honor of working with several different organizations alongside my coworkers, peers and staff alike. My current position as a community leader allows me to lead a group of volunteers to Meals on Wheels of Lamoille County. I have been leading these trips for close to a year now, and I am always excited to introduce new volunteers and have them experience the kindness and generosity that is Meals on Wheels.

Meals on Wheels of Lamoille County has thrived for the past 15 years. They are a non-profit organization that relies solely upon grants, donations, and community support to keep them afloat. Meals on Wheels of Lamoille County has a mission of improving health and enhancing the quality of life for community elders. They have achieved this goal by providing nutritious meals and social interaction for the elders of the county, and proudly serve over 40,000 meals a year.

It is my pleasure to lead service trips to Meals on Wheels every other Friday, and the connections I have made to the staff of Meals on Wheels, as well as the volunteers who join me, remain one of the greatest aspects of my work here at SERVE. Whether we are peeling beets, sealing bags, chopping squash or slicing bread, there is always fun to be had. There are always connections to be made and people to meet.
The food you prepare for the few hours while you volunteer at Meals on Wheels will always find a plate. It will always feed a hungry belly, and you will always be making a difference.

My experience with Meals on Wheels has been nothing but positive and exemplary. I am proud to represent Meals on Wheels here at the NVU-Johnson campus, and hope to see many more volunteers in the future.