Deborah Siegel to visit JSC

On Mar. 12, feminist author Deborah Siegel will come to Johnson State College campus to discuss her book, “Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild.” The talk will be held in the Stearns Performance Space from 7 to 9 p.m.

Karen Madden, the director of Academic Support Services, also serves as the adviser to the Women’s Center on campus. Madden invited Siegel to speak on behalf of the Women’s Center.

“Although the first half of the book is a history of the women’s movement in the 1960s, the second half raises questions that are relevant to young women today,” said Madden, who has used the book to lead discussions since last spring. “The women in the Women’s Center were interested in a book on this subject. I reviewed several and found this to be the most readable and relevant to their needs.”

“Sisterhood: Interrupted” found praise with many critics, including the comment from the New York Observer saying, “A very good book about how modern feminism has fared across the generational divide. It’s a helluva yarn.”

The Mothers Movement Online described the book as “authoritative, informative, and fast-moving, making it perfect summer reading for anyone ready for an original and optimistic perspective on the women’s movement and how to bridge the ideological gap between younger and older feminists. This book is also required reading for anyone interested in getting feminism out of its current rut, and (re)organizing women for change.”

Siegel describes herself on her website as “an expert on gender, politics, and the unfinished business of feminism across generations.”

Other work includes her role as a co-editor of the literary anthology “Only Child: Writers on the Singular Joys and Solitary Sorrows of Growing Up Solo,”founder of the blog “Girl w/Pen,” the co-founder of the webjournal “The Scholar & Feminist Online,” and a founding partner of “She Writes,” an online community for women who write that boasts over 16,000 active members from all 50 states and more than 30 countries.

Her work has been featured in many places, including CNN.com, The Washington Post, The Guardian, The Huffington Post and The Mothers Movement Online.

Currently she shares her experience as a mother to toddler boy-girl twins on the Pink and Blue Diaries and Twitter.

Siegel received her English and American Literature doctorate from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2001. She lives in Brooklyn with her husband, children, and cat.