Meet Johnson’s new student government

The election for VTSU’s Student Government Association (SGA) has just ended, and the results are in! The new SGA constitution, which was passed with a 91% approval rate during this election, opened the doors for new and rebranded positions across the VTSU campuses. Below is an introduction to Johnson’s newly elected representatives.

President: Luke Walters (he/him)
Luke Walters is a second-year student, majoring in Natural Sciences and Secondary Education. He wants to pursue a career as a high school biology or chemistry teacher, and be an athletic trainer while studying ticks. Walters describes himself as a volleyball addict, backpacker, runner, cook, and a bundle of energy.

“With my new position, I hope to increase interactions between students and staff, host more midday events on the quad, keep the arts/bring them back, and work with students/staff to find ways to make campus more inviting — keep this place feeling like a home to many.

“My final words are just a big thank you. Thank you to everybody who has put their trust in the new SGA. Let’s make this next year a blast.”

Executive Vice President: Darone Frierson (he/him)
Darone Frierson is a military veteran, originally from Baltimore, Md., and is an undeclared major. He is a member of the Johnson’s Men’s Golf and Basketball teams. Outside of academics, Frierson is a mentor and a youth basketball skill development trainer.

“With my new position, I am hoping to assist the president and also all members in making changes that are positive, and bring some new energy to the campuses,” said Frierson. “I am excited to see what next year has in store.”

Secretary of Campus Activities: Katrin Cote (she/her)
Katrin (Kat) Cote is a third-year Holistic Health major with a minor in Health and Wellness Coaching. She is currently an Event Coordinator for the Student Led Activity Program (SLAP) on campus as well as the President of Meditation Club. Cote enjoys doing yoga, going on walks in the woods, and learning about different holistic healing modalities. She is also Reiki 1 certified.

Said Cote, “With this new role, I will be the voice of the students for what activities they want to see on this campus. I will ensure that there are fun and exciting activities for students to engage with. I will also ensure proper and ample advertising of events, so students know when and where the fun is happening.

“I’m really excited to bring some fresh activities to this campus and work hard to continue to make Johnson a fun place to be.”

Secretary of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Dayne Bell (he/they)
Dayne Bell is a third-year Creative Writing major with a minor in Writing, Editing, and Publishing. He is currently the President of the Coalition of Minority Students and works with TRiO to provide tutoring services. He likes creating art in multiple forms. His current favorites are crochet and zine making. And he enjoys many different genres of music including classical, rock, and soul.

“I want to make sure that the Johnson campus has lasting facilities in place for the supporting of students of color, and that we are actively and efficiently addressing issues and concerns in this regard.”

Deputy Secretary of Campus Activities: Cohen Repaci (they/them)
Cohen Repaci is a third year English and Secondary Education double major. Said Repaci, “I love psycho-analyzing any and everything, so I watch a lot of movies, TV shows, and YouTube videos, and I like reading and writing. If I had the funds, I would find a way to make a living off of building Lego sets.”

With their new position, Repaci is hoping to get more people involved in and around campus.

“I think this school has some really fun and interesting things going on and I love seeing people have fun at the events,” said Repaci.

The newly elected members will begin their duties this upcoming fall semester, and while the main elections have ended, an additional election will occur in the fall to fill the remaining vacancies.

Open positions for Johnson’s SGA, Fall 2024:

• Secretary of Academics
  • Secretary of Administration
  • Deputy Secretary of Administration
  • Secretary of Community Relations
  • Deputy Secretary of Community Relations
  • Secretary of Sustainability
  • Secretary of Wellness
  • Congressional Clerk
  • Treasurer
  • Delegates

Each position’s roles and responsibilities can be found in the recently approved SGA constitution. In order to better align them with the Johnson campus’s needs, the Johnson SGA Bylaws are currently being revised, which may slightly alter the responsibilities of the positions. For more information, you can reach out to the Johnson SGA through:

Instagram: @vtsujohnsonsga

Email: [email protected]