New Edelweiss deli makes way for man’s best friend

After closing its doors briefly for remodeling, owners Ralf LaBelle and Ken Schlegel’s Edelweiss Bakery & Deli has returned with a new version of this long-established Johnson eatery.

While Edelweiss offers the same sandwich and bakery items as before, they are offered as take-out only and now focus on dogs as well as the owners who love them.

“If you feed yourself well, why not your canine?” asked Schlegel, when discussing the new dog-focused direction that Edelweiss had taken.

With dog biscuits made out of organic ingredients and baked right at Edelweiss, Schlegel joked that the dog treats were of such high quality that humans would enjoy them as well. And considering that both of the owners claim to have done just that, dog owners are free to decide if they want to try them for themselves, or simply give the dogs their biscuits.

The new products offered in Edelweiss are not just limited to gourmet dog treats. Everything from dog cones by Kong to high-quality dog collars made by Lupine, and much more is available within the establishment, which has been extensively remodeled as well.

The interior has been changed to reflect the dog-friendly attitude of the new Edelweiss. The walls have been painted in a primary color scheme, each wall a different color, and upon these are dog-related phrases and imagery. The wall closest to the register has a large photograph of the owner’s now-deceased dog, which was the inspiration for the new canine-friendly direction the deli decided to take.

Edelweiss Bakery and Deli’s dedication to man’s best friend has also extended beyond new products and canine-friendly atmosphere. Ralf LaBelle and Ken Schlegel have extended efforts to help animals that may never see the inside of their establishment.

Last month, Edelweiss held a yard sale Aug.7-8, and proceeds went to organizations dedicated to the care and protection of animals, such as North Country Animal League, Chittenden County Animal Shelter, Patriot Siberian Husky Rescue of New England, and Stray Hearts Animal Shelter.

LaBelle and Schlegel plan to continue their donations programs. Their efforts will always go towards helping animals in need.