Justice for Dogs: Local nonprofit provides rescue and more

Eddie will lose an eye but at least he will survive, thanks to Justice for Dogs, a non-profit volunteer organization dedicated to the rescue, care and placement of animals that otherwise might perish.

Eddie came to it abandoned and starving. One of his eyes will have to be removed, but the surgery will have to wait until the pit bull can gain at least 15 pounds.

Justice for Dogs has been providing hospitalization for the animal, as well as special food to aid in the healing and weight gain.
This situation highlights a deep concern that Justice for Dogs wants to address in the local community, namely the lack of reporting on animal cruelty cases.

“We receive lots of phone calls on lots of different things, but not enough on animal cruelty,” said the organization’s co-founder Amy Touchette. “And I think that in Vermont people still think ‘what happens at the neighbors stays at the neighbors.’ But when it comes to children, elders, [and] pets, people need to pick up the phone and report cruelty.”

Touchette notes there are many different ways to report cruelty in Vermont, and many simply require that information be conveyed. Anonymity can be maintained.

Aside from calling Justice for Dogs, any local humane society can be contacted.  People need to be encouraged to call, says Touchette: “Paws can’t dial 911.”

According to Touchette, this Wolcott-based volunteer organization has grown rapidly since its inception five years ago, now benefitting from the efforts of around 80 volunteers.

This service has helped many animals find homes, and while Justice for Dogs does not call itself a “no kill” animal rescue service, it likes to give animals many chances to successfully adjust, and the organization has a dedicated staff to ensure this policy.

Consequently, it is also very concerned about the proper education of prospective dog owners, hoping to prevent any problems or friction that might arise from new pet owners because of the temperament of their rescued animals.

Animals that are placed into caring, non-abusive homes benefit from another service that Justice for Dogs provides. If foster homes or adoptive families cannot maintain care of the animal, Justice for Dogs will always take it back to be re-homed.

According to Touchette, time doesn’t matter. Even 10 years later it will still find a place for the animal. Justice for Dogs will also offer behavioral support for adopted pets, and is available, at least by phone, whenever needed.

“I hope we get more volunteers and we can keep growing, and we can keep helping more animals…There is still a lot to be done,” said Touchette.

The organization’s services go beyond rescue, education and placement, however.  It even helps families who might struggle to feed their pets, by providing some of their food. It also has feral-stations and provides transportation to veterinary visits for the pets of senior citizens.

Justice for Dogs has also begun helping cats although most of its efforts remain focused on canines.

As for Eddie, despite all the abuse and neglect, the pit bull is very friendly, with a very loving disposition. He will be needing donations to help pay for the eye surgery, and the special care that he will require afterwards.

Touchette urges interested donors to contact Justice for Dogs as soon as possible.

If you are interested in learning more about Justice for Dogs, or in making a donation, or even possibly fostering/adopting a pet, go to justicefordogsvt.org. You can also find them on Facebook.