ECE celebrates innovative learning

The 6th annual Extended Classroom Experience event showcased JSC’s student involvement and innovative learning environments to throngs of prospective students on April 13.

The event featured presentations by individual classes, student projects, teams, and clubs all together in the SHAPE Center’s two gymnasiums. While it started off slowly, after about 30 minutes a mass of prospective students clutching tan folders and accompanied by various family members flooded into the building, presumably having just finished touring the campus.

The rooms were soon filled with chattering voices as the incoming students visited the various booths.

According to Professor of Humanities Fred Wiseman, the objective of the program was to show potential students the learning opportunities that JSC offers. The goal here is service learning, to get people out of the classroom and into the field,” he said. “[We want] to tell them they’re not just going to be sitting listening to people blathering.”

The main gym was transformed by the pale carpeting that had been placed on the floor, muffling the noise and giving the area the feel of a vast conference room as people milled around. Among the presentations was a long aisle of science-oriented posters created by students—senior projects and faculty-mentored research on topics from ecological adaptation to climate change to the microbiotic life found in asbestos pit ponds.

Junior Andrew Klansky stood beside his poster answering questions and discussing his project on differences in asthmatic and non-asthmatic breathing patterns. He was pleased that he and his peers had the chance to present their research to future students. “This research has been a great learning experience,” he said. “Just to see [us] present is cool, and it looks good for the school, to see how active the students are.”

Senior Kirsten Malzac agreed. “It’s a good way for people to learn what people do in a major,” she said. Malzac is majoring in Psychology and researched the effects that parents’ humor styles had on their infant’s humor development. She had answered several questions about her project but was also being asked about the overall psychology program and professors.

The uncarpeted multi-gym was filled with echoing voices as prospective students visited the various presentations. Like the main gym, the multi-gym also contained a few booths from academic departments along with a greater concentration of clubs. According to JSC Chorale member Anna Liccione, many clubs have members graduating this May, and are looking for new students to fill out their numbers. Liccione commented on the mood of the event, saying: “There’s lots of positive energy floating around, people are excited.”

President of the JSC Dodgeball club Brian O’Hare agreed, crediting the enthusiasm of those presenting as a major factor. “Everyone is excited to be here,” said O’Hare. “The clubs and potential students—everyone is in a good mood.”

The event was well received by the visiting students. Daniel Micelli, a high school junior from New Jersey, appreciated the opportunity to talk to current JSC students about their experiences. “It was pretty eye-opening, I saw some cool internships and opportunities to get into,” he said.