Coffee House grinds to a halt

Coffee House, which in years past has provided a small-space musical venue for a host of local and regional bands on Thursday nights in Stearns Stage Space, has been scrapped.

According to Director of Student Activities and Community Service Krista Swahn, this change was made after careful consideration of the Stearns event’s attendance records and the differences in space requirements among bands.

“I am working closely with the college’s Program Planning Board…to create a calendar of events that provides a wider variety of entertainment for students,” said Swahn.

Dibden Director Jan Herder said that he had to make the final decision to end Coffee House, a choice spurred by both the lack of student interest in the weekly performances, and the frustration of the visiting artists due to the lack of attendance.

SGA President Shane Bouthillette acknowledged that declining attendance played a major role in the decision. “Having all the local events on Thursday nights didn’t attract a large audience,” he said.

It is hoped that the new event scheduling will compensate for this by providing a smaller number of well-known bands rather than a large number of local bands, in order to attract a larger audience. “I would like to see JSC have three or four solid events to bring us together,” said Bouthillette.