At home on the range: Sodexo takes over

JSC’s dining program underwent a major overhaul over the summer, as the school switched food service providers for the first time in 27 years.

Multinational food service provider Sodexo replaced Aramark after months of bidding over a new five-year contract with the four state colleges that have meal plans: Lyndon, Castleton, Vermont Tech, and Johnson.

Along with the new company came a new management team at JSC, in the form of General Manager Tom Fondakowski and Chef Manager Paul Bento.

The new duo have initiated a number of changes thus far, including different operating hours, options for having meals to go, a new vegan dining station, and significant changes to late night food options.

Prior to coming to JSC, Fondakowski spent 12 years as a resident dining manager at the University of Vermont. Initially reluctant to become a general manager at UVM, he decided to pursue the opportunity at Johnson because of the smaller size. “I’m excited about the opportunity at Johnson State because it’s a great opportunity for me to get a promotion that I want, but also at a smaller campus where I can have an impact and still stay in operations,” said Fondakowski. “I’ve gotta have my hands [busy]. I can’t sit behind a desk. That won’t be fulfilling enough for me.”

Fondakowski had to learn the ins and outs of Johnson’s food service program pretty quickly when he arrived on campus in mid-June to manage the catering of a full summer of events without a chef.

“So June, July, and half of August I was the acting Chef and General Manager at the same time, in charge of catering in conference and events,” he said. “And I also found myself arriving on campus two weeks before I was due to, because Aramark pulled out of the account early. I was asked to come on board because [JSC] had some important catering events and they needed to have them done.”

Fondakowski didn’t know what exactly caused Aramark to leave early, only that the decision was not made by Aramark’s former executive chef at JSC, James Constantino.

Fondakowski says he’s happy with his decision to leave UVM, remarking on the open community he has experienced. “I think the big difference between Johnson students and UVM students is that University of Vermont students are very picky, all Vermont students are,” he said. “But they don’t have solutions. This is the first place I’ve ever been that offers solutions. I had a number of [Johnson] students that had a complaint, but then they offered solutions. What an opportunity is that for the General Manager to build a program with the students, for real.”

Chef Manager Paul Bento takes pride in his work. “My responsibility is food,” he said. “You’re as good as your last meal—that’s what we’re trying to represent.” Bento worked in his high school’s food program, and was in the first class to graduate with a culinary degree from Johnson and Wales University (Rhode Island) in 1975.

After spending 20 years at Norwich University, Bento began looking for a change of scene. Like Fondakowski, he gravitated towards Johnson’s smaller and tighter-knit campus. “For me, personally, I just wanted to try something different,” he said. “I can affect the customer output and satisfaction here because it’s a smaller environment. It was so nice to see everybody here; everybody is so friendly.”

Bento faces the challenges of becoming acclimated to an unfamiliar facility while keeping up the standard of quality he demands. But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t enjoy the fast-paced intensity of his job. “There’s no greater experience, it’s so rewarding,” he said. “It’s a performance; we have one shot. There’s no practice. All of a sudden, bang, we’re on, we’re live.”

Stearns has seen many changes with the arrival of Sodexo. A focus on enabling vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free lifestyles has been instrumental in the addition of a new vegan meal station, with food cooked by vegan chef Peggy Edwards.

Gluten-free diets are supported through the creation of ‘my space’, a kitchenette where students who desire gluten-free food can prepare meals without the risk of contamination.

This small room is situated where the cashier station used to operate.

According to Fondakowski, the space in that room has been divided into three areas; the gluten-free student access area, an addition to the bussing station that served as a storage area for dishes to cool down after washing, and a storage area for new to-go Eco-Ware containers.

Fondakowski has ordered 300 Eco-Ware sets. Each kit consists of a three-compartment container, a 16oz tumbler, and a spork donated by the Student Government Association.

Students must sign up for the program, paying a $5 deposit. “The only reason I’m taking a deposit is because that’s how much it costs for the whole kit and caboodle,” Fondakowski said. “You will get your deposit back at the end of the year if you give me the containers back. Its just because if they get stolen I can buy more.”

Students signed up for the program will use a container to get a meal to-go, then return it unwashed to the dining hall staff in exchange for a clean set. Because of liability issues, the college takes responsibility for cleaning the Eco-Ware containers.

The dining hall, C-store, late night and coffee shop hours have also changed.

On the weekends, the coffee shop is open from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. (previously 10-4 on weekends). On Monday through Friday, Breakfast will continue until 10:30a.m., instead of ending at 10:00.

Dinner runs from 4:30 -7:30p.m. (previously 5p.m. to 7p.m.).

Weekend Brunch now runs from 10a.m. to 2p.m. (previously 10:30a.m. to 1p.m.).

Late night hours are reduced, now running from 9:30p.m. to midnight.

The C-store hours have also been reduced, opening at 11 a.m. on weekdays and closing at 9 p.m. The C-store weekend hours remain 4 p.m.- 9p.m.

According to Fondakowski, the reason for the reduced hours is simple. The food service contract for the college states that only a certain number of hours can be used to work. If one facility stays open later, those hours must be taken from another.